Thursday, April 27, 2006

More on the Nintendo Wii

So it's been approximately half a day since the big N dropped the bombshell. And I've been following the reactions.

Frankly, I'm not surprised. First there was nothing but shock. Then there were the obvious name comparisons to the act of urination and a certain male organ. And now people are starting to write thoughtful discussions on why the name makes sense and why it will work.

Remind anyone of anything? Yes, it's much the same reaction the Revmote got on its unveiling. At first people didn't know what to think. Then they read about it... and they got it.

Myself, I am optimistic about the future of the Wii. As someone who's never owned a console aside from handhelds (I've played many a console game however), but is 'in the loop' on the console world, I can say that the Wii is very attractive to me as a consumer due to its interaction and price.

The name is a big gamble on Nintendo's part, yes - but it describes what they're doing. Nintendo is trying to separate themselves from their competitors - and what better way to do it than with a seperate name? Already it's succeeded - everyone's talking about the Wii - by announcing such a revolutionary name without any warning, they've caught everyone off guard.

Judging by the Rev - I mean "Wiimote" and this name, I can say that if we can expect more of the same from Nintendo's Revolution, I'm very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment