Monday, September 14, 2009

Dawwww.... so Kyu-te!

BT Toons - Phear the Phiffer!!!

So, I finally got a proper chance to do this comic I've had in my head for some time now... ever since Derrick Wyatt did an awesome sketch of Mew/GT as a mouse on Twitter I've been trying to figure out how to work it into my comic somehow - it's too awesome to pass up.

And so, the dramatic reveal - this grew organically out of the last 2 comics I did, in that it resolved for my own canon just where this army of mousey minions would actually come from. I bandied about many ideas about their origins - one idea had a single one as a Bat-Mite equivalent counterpart. But I wanted a way to bring them back if I could.

And so, I give you the Kyu! Name being derived thanks to a translator and the Japanese word Kyuu - one of whose meanings can be "squeak". This fits in with Mew and Nya's names very well in theme as well as in sound. So yeah - the minions are called Kyu.

As for the alter-ego, the Phiffer... this is the result of my ultraconvoluted thought process. I wanted a Pied-Piper themed villain, given he has mousey minions. Thus, "The Piper" (explaining all the pipes). But wait! Didn't Michelle PHIFFER play Catwoman? And Phiffer sounds similar enough to piper!

And so we got a cat wearing a hat with a PF on it, pipes on the hat and back, and a cat head mounted on top.

Also, the evil villain rant does have some actual autobiographical roots - I'll leave it to common sense to figure out which parts of it actually are based off events that happened.

Finally, I'll show off some kitbashing I've been doing of late - you remember me gushing over ROTF Tankor? Well, he wasn't good enough. So I did some paint touchups to him with Gundam Markers - I wanted an excuse to break in my silver marker.



No comments:

Post a Comment