Thursday, August 06, 2009

Cobra has risen!


BT Toons - Other M, Part 6: Nya: Nefarious Notary

So, I have now seen GI Joe: Rise of Cobra. Got a double pass for free, and my brother and I were literally the last ones to get in (as usual with these things they overprint them, and we got the last pair of REAL tickets. So we got the front row.)

To quote a post I did over on another message board, as it sums up my thoughts best:
Just saw GI Joe.

The negative hype is misleading. It's a good, FUN movie.

ROTF didn't have the fun feeling that GI Joe did.

Was the plot predictable? Yep. But the movie was fun, and Wayans wasn't all that bad.

Cobra Commander was great though, I gotta say. Reminded me of Resolute CC. As for the ending... I went with my brother, and he agreed it felt too rushed (as in the VERY end - if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about).

Also - what's up with these Neo-Vipers? They know no fear or pain, and YET they have tendencies to scream/react to pain in the final battle scenes.

Action sequences were fun, CGI was pretty bad in some sequences (The Pit for instance), and I still hate Snake-Eyes' mouth.

It's gonna be a great opening weekend for it. Heck, though I won't go out of my way to see it again, I would pay to see it. (I didn't pay for this screening - got the tickets free)

Also, today was a good day as I finally got my Aveo Swerve Transformers toy! It's a promotional item GM comissioned back in 07 that inexplicably turns into a Chevy Aveo (why THAT car?). It's been barely available, but thanks to one of my cousins in Toronto, where the promo was held, I got my hands on one. And he is GLORIOUS.

4 comments:

  1. They might not have been Neo-Vipers.

    Remember, Cobra only had 20 Neo-Vipers, and one of them was in Washington. It's likely that the ones that were screaming were normal Vipers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment. It was fun and consistently fast paced. I found the characters endearing(even if a little flat) with solid dialogue and humorous, but not over the top, banter. I liked the story and the plot twists. Honestly I didn't come away disliking anything about it. Tempted to buy toys tho. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the toys ARE tempting.

    Even MORE tempting is the fact TRU has had sales on them. There's a buy one get one on the figures in Canada this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The toys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete